TYA – Teenage Young Adults workstream
The TYA with cancer work stream was a fixed term project until Summer 2017 which focussed on developing a regional cancer service for teenagers and young adults in Northern Ireland. After an initial scoping exercise of existing services, five themes emerged as central to developing a regional TYA cancer service.
The themes formed the basis for key areas of work, and included;
- Strategic direction of travel for TYA cancer services in NI,
- TYA service developments,
- Support needed to develop a TYA service,
- Facilities to support TYA cancer care in NI, and
- Education for staff and patient information needs.
All service developments in NI were in line with best available evidence including;
- NICE Improving Outcomes in Children and Young People with Cancer;
- NICE Quality Standard 55 for Children and Young People with Cancer;
- National Cancer Peer Review Programme: Manual for Cancer Services: Teenage and Young Adults Measures; and
- DHSSPS Departmental Framework for Cancer Services 2015.