TYA – Teenage Young Adults
The teenage and young adults with cancer work stream is a 2 year fixed term project until February 2016 focussed on developing a regional cancer service for this cohort of patients in Northern Ireland. After an initial scoping exercise of current services, five themes have emerged as central to developing a regional cancer service.
The themes will form the basis for the key areas of work moving forward, and include;
- Strategic direction of travel for TYA cancer services in NI,
- TYA service developments,
- Support needed to develop a TYA service,
- Facilities to support TYA cancer care in NI, and
- Education for staff and patient information needs.
All service developments in NI will be in line with best available evidence to include;
- NICE Improving Outcomes in Children and Young People with Cancer;
- NICE Quality Standard 55 for Children and Young People with Cancer;
- National Cancer Peer Review Programme: Manual for Cancer Services: Teenage and Young Adults Measures; and
- DHSSPS Departmental Framework for Cancer Services 2015.